Sunday, April 6, 2014

Made To Worship

     There is just something so special about worship and the words chosen within it. The imagery used in most of these songs are so profound, that it amazes me that in almost every church, there are multiple people who just simply don't realize the words they are singing on Sundays. Granted, there are a few of these songs that have a limited audience, but the words behind them are so beautiful and impactful! Now this post could be inspired through my girlfriend having a job that requires her to sing songs everyday, but I think that the majority of it is just a glaring mark that God has been speaking heavily to me through worship recently. 

     Now let me explore some of these lyrics within worship songs. The first one up, Hillsong - Like An Avalanche. The main chorus sings a line, "Caught up in grace like an avalanche." Have you ever been caught in an avalanche before? Chances are no, unless you're some adventurer who is currently sidelined by taking an arrow to the knee. But the chances are high that you've seen footage of what one looks like or a movie's attempt to show a hero caught in one. It's completely overwhelming! And yet most people can sign through such a line without giving it a second thought, completely unaware that you just sang a lyric that is meant to bring you to your knees. Now recently, two churches of mine have talked about grace this weekend, covering a great deal of what grace is, versus what is not. Now when you get a chance to sit down and fully put yourself within a mindset that God has sending an avalanche of grace your way… You should be brought to some form of change right then and there. God's grace isn't cheap and comes with a great price tag, yet He freely gives it to you in the form of an avalanche! Think about that one a few times over. 


     The second song lyric I'm completely amazed at is John Mark McMillan - "How He Loves." This song has such crazy imagery within it that it's nearly impossible for me to pick just one line from it. So here are two to discuss from it. "Love's like a hurricane, I am a tree. Bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy." Wow Hurricanes have such an incredible force behind them, bringing forth a deluge of rain and wind. Most of these lyrics shoot from the idea that God's mercy given to us is far greater than what we deserved, and they're not wrong! Our position with God should be nothing less than a permanent separation from God in a life of torment and despair. (Just speaking one lie is worthy enough for God to pass this judgement upon us!) Yet through all of this, God showed us mercy! We should be bent over in a humbling posture permanently due to this idea upon our mind, and even more so upon our lips singing it! But this song isn't done yet! "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss." Have you ever been kissed by a two year old, or tried to kiss one? If you haven't, allow for me to let you in on a hint, they're sloppy. But much more than sloppy, they're filled with unconditional love! This lyric fits perfectly within the song title, "How He Loves."! It's amazing to hear and sing within worship, and it does just what the follow up line is, "My heart turns violently inside of my chest." This line is just so impactful that I can't help but smile as I sing it, knowing that my Saviour loves me so much! 


     And time for the final song to cover. (In this blog at least.) Hillsong - Oceans. "Your grace abounds in deepest waters." That line right there seems to maybe sum up why I have these songs so heavily upon my heart. God's grace seems to be drowning and overwhelming only once the waters rise so high that I can't do anything. My life right now has much turmoil and uncertainty within it right now, along with a great sense that the walls are coming down. Yet through all of this, I seem to put my full rest within His grace and mercy. These are some songs that have been holding my hope through these past 3 years, which have been full of nothing short of disappointments, failures, let downs, and just an overall turmoil within my life. While nothing has cleared up for me yet, nor do I see a horizon yet, I am confident that God will rescue me, and lead me to shore where I can anchor and plant and grow. But until then, I will continue to use Him and His grace and mercy as my anchor through these rough times. I encourage for you to reach out to Him during these rough times and follow the chorus lyrics within Hillsong's "Take Heart", "Take heart,  let His love lead us through the night. Hold onto hope, and take courage again." God will come through for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment